Sunday, September 10, 2006

First Week Over

The weeks fly by... This past week was no exception. The first full week back at school went fairly well. The boys seem to be doing well... they are acting out a bit at home but seem to be weathering the new school thing well enough. We have been getting such great snippets from their teachers about "what a nice addition" they are to classes and the like... This week reminds me of a baseball moment, we swung, hit a great shot over the right fielder's head, put our head down and adrenalized, sprinted around the bases and slid into home not knowing whether we were safe or not having been lost in the excitement of the run. One of those moments of being lost in the moment. (whoah! that analogy was weird and came out of nowhere [left field?] but I will leave it). Saturday we dusted our rearend's off... Alfie, Colin and Alfie's friend Clay went for an eventful mt. bike ride (River_Crossing) and ended up at Fort River school to watch Isaiah play soccer. It was I think the last 85 degree day of the year. We were sweating wonderfully all day. Alf and I biked back up the hill to Shutesbury to take over our duties as daddees while Britt, Ericka and Irene ran off for some well earned down time. A massive thunderstorm rolled over us as I made a huge amount chicken pasta along with a massive salad that we fed ourselves and the kids. To bed tired and happy, except for Alfie who was up all night making friends with the porcelain bowl suffering from a case of food poisoning (not MINE!!!). Sunday Ericka, Mason, Anika, Britt, Isaiah, Aman and I went on a fantastic hike up rattlesnake gutter. Fantastic bunch of fallen rock up a long ravine. Fall foliage sort of starting and the kids really into it (that last detail being the most important). We ended the day with an early Baha'i Feast at the home of Braulia and Juan Caban in Amherst. The kids are in the other room listening to the third Harry Potter book. I need to clean the kitchen, do the kids lunches and say my long obligatory prayer (I missed the cut off for the short one). Then it is beddeebye time. But! before I leave, I need a new book. I am putting the call out for suggestions. I want to go to the library with a specific goal, not to browse for hours indecisively... any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys...

Always keeping up on your blog. Fabulous that you're buying a big house!
Concerning the book, you might enjoy "Kite Runner" by somebody Khaled (I don't have the book nearby). It's a very unusual story about modern Afganistan as seen thru the eyes of the narrator/author, who showers us with some rich themes and scenes.
(Someone gave this to Jaleh and Julie passed it on to me.)
Love,

Bumpa

Sasha McKinney said...

Hi Colin,
James and I download the music file but were not able to listen to it (I think it's because we have a Mac, but I'm not sure).
Do you have Itunes? I think that James mentioned that if you did, we could here it (and they have Itunes for PCs).

love you!

Anonymous said...

Mom said:

James must be drooling over all those beautiful rocks you were climbing!

Anonymous said...

Mom said:

James must be drooling over all those beautiful rocks you were climbing!

Also, Jere's recommendation of "The Kite Runner" is a good read.