Wednesday, March 29, 2006

On another note

This one isn't directly family related (or maybe it is) but during this past Fasting period I was just musing... As Baha'is, we are asked to pray and read from the writings everyday. Recently, I have been thinking about the first sentence in the short obligatory prayer that I say every day. It says, " I bear witness Oh my God, that Thou hast created me to know Thee and to worship Thee. ..." I am testifying that my sole purpose is to know God and to worship God. I realized that I didn't know what that meant exactly even though I have said the prayer a gazillion times. I approached it like an engineer would of course creating a table with two columns with the headings: Know God and Worship God. And started to write down ideas as to what might describe doing each of these things. Here's what I ended up with... Here also I include a larger list of virtues I compiled a while back...

1 comment:

Sasha McKinney said...

Hi Colin,
It was so inspiring to read your post. It's so easy to know what we are supposed to be and do as baha'is, but to really internalize it and become it is a completely different thing. And what more important thing to internalize than our purpose in life!! This is such a practical Faith, it's so clear what we are supposed to do and how we can achieve it.
i love you!!